Support Power of the River, the movie and the mission
Your contribution today will help our small team of artists finish this beautiful film, share it with the world, and do our part to show people why Earth's wildest places should continue to run wild.
Two great ways to support free rivers and this independent film:
1. Take a tax deduction!
A perfectly reasonable 7% fee goes to the good folks at the International Documentary Association (learn more in the FAQs below).
2. Donate directly.
100% of your contribution benefits the film and its charitable mission directly!
From the director:
We journeyed to a magical place, onto a wild river, and into the unknown. We came back with an epic adventure story ... and much more. As a filmmaker, I take seriously the obligations that come with the access we received to film a first-ever expedition on an at-risk river. It was a magnificent opportunity and now I am determined to share this important story as far and wide as possible. With your help we'll finish the film and share it widely. Your donation today will support my four-year labor of love. It's a great time to support Power of the River: I've already taken the leap of faith, assembled an ace team, and now you can help this film do its job. Thank you!
What specifically will my donation do? Your donations to Power of the River will directly fund:
- Edits for versions - our talented editor Jocelyne Chaput and director Greg I. Hamilton will be tackling versions of the film for television, tours, and other distribution avenues to reach the broadest possible audience.
- Mastering/release - costs stack up for the final touches that make sure each screening looks as sharp as can be, from festivals to TV to your own tricked-out home theater.
- Titles and accessibility - we'll create multiple language translations and features for people with hearing or vision impairments just as soon as funding permits.
- Curriculum for schools and communities - we're developing screening kits and viewing guides to help groups of all ages use the film to spark productive discussion, learning, and action.
- Audience building - our producers are experts at rallying huge audiences; a small investment in grassroots outreach pays off hugely for the film and its mission.
- We're partnering with BYkids.org, a magnificent non-profit that pairs accomplished mentors with young aspiring filmmakers in many countries, including Bhutan. $2 from every ticket sold plus 20% of sponsorships and donations in 2018 will help complete BYkids' latest production. Learn more.
How is this tax-deductible? Since The International Documentary Association is a 501(c)(3) U.S. nonprofit organization, the benefits of your contribution to Power of the River ripple outward: you receive a tax deduction (consult your tax folks), we receive much needed funds for our film and its release, and the good people at IDA keep a small, perfectly reasonable fee to help cover their own costs. Win-win-win.
Why IDA? Our director Greg has been a long-standing member of the IDA, including serving as a peer reviewer for the IDA's Pare Lorentz Documentary Fund and an annual voter for the year's best documentaries. The IDA is dedicated to building and serving the needs of a thriving documentary culture. Since 1998 its fiscal sponsorship program has helped hundreds of independent documentaries get funded and finished. IDA administers millions of dollars in annual donations and grants to sponsored projects just like Power of the River. IDA is a participating member of the National Network of Fiscal Sponsors through the Tides Center. The hard-working team at IDA is very worthy of receiving their small share of your donation, so please don't hesitate to contribute through them.